Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Hard Part is Over

What seemed like the longest day in history is finally over.  It started with a 9:30am pre-op admission which included an injection of radioactive dye to identify my sentinel lymph node.  This will "light up" the node and serve as a guide for the surgeon during surgery.  It takes a while for the dye to move through my system and find the node.  In the meantime Jeff, my sister-in-law Shirley and I waited and answered calls from many of you anxious to know how I was doing.  Your prayers and concern have been a great source of strength to me.  Thank you again for all your support. 

Finally around 2:00pm prep work began for the final countdown to surgery.  A flurry of visits from the surgeon, Anesthesiologist and surgery nurse took place to either ask last minute questions or give last minute instructions.  The mastectomy began at 2:30pm and ended at 4:00pm when Dr. Johnson informed Jeff and Shirley that all went well.  She had the Pathologist do a frozen section on the sentinel node she removed during surgery.  The report came back during surgery that the node was positive (cancerous).  Dr. Johnson then took more nodes around the sentinel for later lab analysis.  She said that more surgery to remove more nodes later wouldn't be necessary.  After an hour and a half of spent in recovery, and still not really with it, they wheeled me up to my room.  I'll stay here overnight and be released at 11:00am.  Thanks again for all your prayers and well wishes.


*b said...

Thank you so much for having Lauren call me. I'm never sure when a good time is to call, so I so appreciate you thinking of me. I'm so happy that you are recovering well and I can't wait to give a you hug and see you as soon as possible.

Miss you and love you,


Mike and Jan said...

I can't believe that you are posting on your blog already! and it's unbelievable that you're going home in just one day? when my mom had a mastectomy 30 years ago, she was in the hospital for a week or so. The best part is, she is still strong and healthy. Aren't we grateful for modern day medicine? Stay tough, "Lynny girl" Love, Jan

Seattle Mom said...

I'm so glad to hear the surgery went well. I'm thinking of you and praying for you and wishing we were just next door to help out. But you are always in my prayers, even way over here. Love you!