Today is Sunday, and I was grateful that I felt good enough to go to church with my family here. I was impressed with a lesson that a husband and wife did together. They work in downtown Salt Lake City with the homeless and the abused. She said that she just really wanted to start doing some volunteer work with the Police Station for a couple of hours a week. But now she is working full time and she has started an organization the CHAIN BREAKERS!
I love that, that is exactly what I have tried to be my whole life. Habits and abuse can be like terrible chains that bind us to a horrible life. It seems at times that these chains are too strong to break, and we will have to continue to live a certain way then pass onto the next generation... all the garbage that we had in our lives. But we don't have to, we can be CHAIN BREAKERS, we can be the one to stop the wrongs and make them right. Make our life right and our futures bright!
He mentioned that many times we are prepared for storms and disasters that hit our lives. We have our 72 hour kits, our emergency preparedness items, maybe some money saved away and also our food storage. But are we just as prepared for the EMOTIONAL AND SPIRITUAL STORMS that will hit our lives? Are we ready to face the very PROBLEMS that will test our faith and our hope? What kind of storms could these be?
- Financial problems
- Divorce or Marital problems
- Addictions- Gambling, Drugs, Alcohol, or Pornography
- Illnesses - chronic and terminal
- Loss of a loved one-spouse, parent or child
- Mental issues
- Aging and all the problems that come with that
They both talked about how we could prepare for these things, because we know that they are going to happen some day, probably not all of them.... but some of them.
- We must keep our perspective
- We must stay strong in our obedience to the commandments
- We must surround ourselves with people who have great faith and hope.
- We must surround ourselves with people who have a belief and faith in US!
- We must try to keep the faith and everyday try to find hope
- We must serve others, that helps us put things in perspective
- We must continue to gain knowledge about our challenges. Remember KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!
- We must try each day to do the right thing and trust in God
He reminded us that it does not matter what problems we are facing, there is help on every front (if we ask for it). We need to lean on each other to be a support to each other.
"Darkness can not be eliminated by darkness, darkness can only be eliminated by light"
It was a great lesson for all of us. It made me think of the quote that I have used before that goes like this..." WHEN THE STUDENT IS READY. THE MASTER APPEARS" ~Buddhist Proverb
I think if we all look back into our past, there would be certain chains that we need to break. We need to become like this dear lady and her husband called the CHAIN BREAKERS! I learned so much today, what a great reminder for me and hopefully all of us.
Good night dear family and friends, thanks for the love and hope you share with me!
"THERE ARE THINGS THAT WE DON'T WANT TO HAPPEN BUT HAVE TO ACCEPT, THINGS WE DON'T WANT TO KNOW BUT HAVE TO LEARN, AND PEOPLE WE CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT BUT HAVE TO LET GO" ~ Unknown
"FIGURING OUT WHO YOU ARE IS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE HUMAN EXPERIENCE" ~ Anna Quindlen