Well, today I turned 50 years old. It seems weird to think that I could actually be that age! I thought at first it would be hard to get that old, but somehow it feels like it has been well earned and I guess the truth is that I am just grateful to still be here on earth to have a 50th birthday! It made me think of the saying...
"Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."
-- Author Unknown
So I was excited for today, thank you for all your calls, letters, gifts, flowers and emails. I think I am one of the richest people on earth to have so many BEST FRIENDS and FAMILY!
Jeff, Lee, Lauren, John, Amy, Angie and I went out for a picnic in the park. It was another beautiful sunny day and we went down by the lake and had a wonderful picnic. Jeff and Amy had asked earlier what I wanted for my birthday. I first said that if I could have anything I wished for, it would be to have all my friends and family come and spend the day with me. Since I knew that wasn't possible ... I said "just to have a picnic with the whole family" or at least the family that is here. Then they gave me a photo book that they created on line that had letters from many of you as a Tribute Book for me. It was amazing. It made me cry to feel so loved and appreciated, what a wonderful gift. I know that Amy was concerned that maybe she didn't get a hold of all of you and that was her goal, but she and Lauren worked very hard to contact as many you as they could. It will be such a treasure throughout the coming years. Especially on those BIGGER THAN ME days.
Near the end of our picnic, Angie laid on her quilt and said " this is a perfect day", she was right.
Tonight Jeff said "now that you are 50, you ought to go riding with me on my motorcycle", how could I turn that down? So I went into the bathroom...said a quick prayer, then put on my helmet and took a ride with him. It was fun, it was a bit scary around the corners but...I did it! Who knows what I will do next?"I have enjoyed greatly the second blooming... suddenly you find - at the age of 50, say - that a whole new life has opened before you."
-- Agatha Christie
Well, I didn't get a lot of OVER THE HILL cards and gifts (thank you for that), so I thought I would do them myself just for fun. Good night dear friends and family. Thank you again for remembering me!"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
-- Mark Twain
Here's another perfect day, it looks like! :)
'You know you're getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you're down there."
-- George Burns
'In youth we learn; in age we understand."
- Kidnappers are not very interested in you.
- In a hostage situation you are likely to be released first.
- No one expects you to run into a burning building.
- People call at 9 PM and ask, "Did I wake you?"
- People no longer view you as a hypochondriac.
- There is nothing left to learn the hard way.
- Things you buy now won't wear out.
- You can eat dinner at 4 P.M.
- You enjoy hearing about other peoples operations.
- You get into heated arguments about pension plans.
- You have a party and the neighbors don't even realize it.
- You no longer think of speed limits as a challenge.
- You quit trying to hold your stomach in, no matter who walks into the room.
- You sing along with elevator music.
- Your eyes won't get much worse.
- Your investment in health insurance is finally beginning to pay off.
- Your joints are more accurate meteorologists than the National Weather Service.
- Your secrets are safe with your friends because they can't remember them either.