I loved this article, a good reminder for me!
11 Ways to Focus on the Here and Now
We all know the feeling of being overwhelmed, of being beset by distractions.
The problem is, too many things are clamoring for your attention. People are trying to reach you, by phone, email, text, Twitter, IM, or old-fashioned yelling up the stairs. There are the interesting subjects you want to learn more about, on the TV or the Internet or the newspaper. Noises in the background occasionally catch your ear. Your kids all talk at the same time. Colleagues interrupt. You need to update, check in, post, or ping. Ads jump at you from the most unlikely places. Devices buzz, ring, chirp, and vibrate.
It’s enough to drive you crazy. You lose your train of thought; you forget what you’re doing; you have trouble re-engaging in a task; you feel besieged.
But there are steps you might consider to quiet the buzz in your brain – even if you don’t want to take up meditation."
1. Tune in and turn off
2. Remind yourself to Quiet your mind
3. Spend some one on one time with your kids ( you may have to split up to do this )
4.Cut down multi-tasking
5. Silence the ringer on your cell phone during this time
6.Curb errand- running
7. Pause the web ( so you won't keep jumping from link to link )
8. Step away from the email
9. So no to - numbers ( just for awhile, stop checking the clock, your scales and anything else with numbers )
11. Flee temptations ( get away some where, so you are not tempted to take calls or check emails )
These are just a few suggestions to boost your sense of quiet focus, it really does work but is much harder to do than you would think. It takes practice, but is soooooooooo worth it!
"When we are present in each moment, the past gently rolls up
behind us and the future slowly unravels before us." ~ Rev Richard Levy
"The quieter you become the more you can hear." ~Unknown